It's been a little over a week now since the bad news. At first, the office was quiet and I didn't really know what to say. Do I smile? Do I look down? I didn't know how everyone was REALLY taking it? You never really know what someone's thoughts were before they heard the reality. They may have been in denial and taking this whole thing pretty hard. I also don't know their situation. Now, over a week into it, I can see smiles on peoples' faces again. Light jokes are muttered, though it isn't funny, it's good to have a sense of humor when times are tough.
Human Resources has been holding meetings to prepare us for this transition. Outplacement programs are in place and the company really is trying everything to help us. Although it is the corporate world and it's not fun to lose your job, this company has gone the extra mile to help us in this horrible time.
The good news is the company is hiring over 1,000 jobs, however we will have to be able to relocate. Being young and flexible (I don't own a house, have kids, or even a dog) I am going to shoot for the stars and interview for a position in New York. The better news is this position is something I have always wanted to do! I could stay awake all night thinking about this job and the possiblities it could bring me. It's a position as a fashion assistant. I know, I know...those jobs may sound glamourous, but there is a lot of not-so-glamourous things about them. I'm fine with that. Everyone's got to start somewhere and well, shoot, I can't think of any place I'd rather be. My hopes are set pretty high. I have to often remind myself to stay grounded and realize who I'm up against; workers from San Francisco and Miami! There is a lot of stinkin' competition out there, but all I can do is PREPARE.
I started by looking at the job description, then I took that description to the fashion art director and asked her more about it. Since we don't have a fashion assistant position in our division currently, I wanted to find out all that I could. I am so glad I did go and talk to her because she made me aware that it wasn't exactly what I originally thought it was...it was so much better! I also didn't want to start to interview for a position when I thought it was something entirely different, so that was a life saver!
This entire week I am just prepping for my interview next week. I am so nervous and really just trying to find out the best approach to sell myself. I feel like this is my one shot. Life throws you surprises, but I don't see a lot of opportunities to move to New York after this. I'm diving in head first.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment